PTE Academic apart from other English proficiency tests is its efficient scoring system and swift result delivery. Being fully computerized, the PTE results and scores are typically declared within two business days, making it an ideal choice for students with time constraints. Aspiring candidates will find valuable insights into the essential topics related to the PTE Exam 2023, helping them prepare effectively for this significant language assessment. Read more career blogs at college49
Preparation Tips and Tricks to Crack the PTE Exam
Preparing for the PTE exam can be made easier with these top five personalized tips to help you excel in your test:
1. Set Target Score: Determine your target PTE score to gauge your current English proficiency level accurately. Knowing your goal will guide your PTE preparation efforts and help you focus on areas that require improvement.
2. Familiarize with Test Format: Understand the PTE exam pattern thoroughly. Familiarizing yourself with the test format will acquaint you with instructions, section lengths, time allocation, question types, and overall layout, ensuring better preparedness for the actual exam.
3. Grasp Scoring System: Learn about the PTE scoring process, especially as the exam is machine-scored. Understand how answers are evaluated for correctness, formal aspects, and response quality. This insight will aid you in optimizing your answers effectively.
4. Utilize Reliable Preparation Material: Rely on trustworthy sources for your PTE preparation material. The official PTE website offers valuable resources, including free online courses, practice apps, and paid course books. Additionally, “Learn English with Pearson” is a beneficial tool to enhance your language skills.
5. Practice Regularly: Practice is key to success. Engage in consistent PTE preparation by practicing sample papers and taking mock tests in a simulated exam environment. Regular practice will improve your test-taking skills, track your progress, and highlight areas needing further attention.
The PTE Academic exam, known as the Pearson Test of English, has gained worldwide recognition as a computer-based English language test accepted by educational institutions globally. Aspirants planning to study abroad or immigrate to an English-speaking country undertake the PTE-Academic to showcase their English language proficiency.
Administered by Pearson PLC Group, the PTE exams had experienced a temporary suspension due to the prevailing COVID-19 situation. However, with a decline in COVID-19 cases, PTE test centers have resumed operations, providing a secure environment for candidates to take the test. The PTE Exam Fee has been revised to INR 15,900, inclusive of taxes, making it the booking cost for the PTE test.
To ensure student safety and convenience, Pearson PLC Group introduced the PTE at Home, which mirrors the standard PTE test but can be taken from the comfort of the candidate’s home. Additionally, the test duration has been reduced from three hours to two hours since November 16, 2021.
The syllabus for the two-hour computer-based PTE test focuses on everyday English usage, assessing a student’s ability to comprehend spoken language commonly used in daily life. The PTE exam’s multi-level grading system provides an accurate measure of a student’s English language proficiency.
Exploring the Three Formats of the PTE Exam
The Pearson Language Tests, a division of Pearson PLC Group, is responsible for administering three distinct formats of the English proficiency test, catering to non-native speakers of the English language. These tests are the PTE Academic, PTE Academic UKVI, and PTE Home.
- PTE Academic: The PTE Academic exam is available year-round and is specifically designed for students seeking admission to universities or educational institutions. Comprising four sections—reading, writing, listening, and speaking—the exam assesses candidates’ language skills comprehensively. Scores obtained in the PTE Academic exam remain valid for a duration of two years.
- PTE Academic UKVI: PTE Academic UKVI is a Secure English Language Test (SELT) approved by the UK Home Office for all UK visas that require a 4-skill language test. This option is ideal for individuals planning to work, study, or reside in the UK. It is essential to note that the content and format of the PTE Academic UKVI exam are identical to the PTE Academic exam, with minor differences in the registration process.
- PTE Home: The PTE Home serves as an accepted English test for family and work visas by the UK Home Office. It comprises three categories: PTE Home A1, PTE Home A2, and PTE Home B1 English tests. Each category fulfills specific purposes concerning the application for various family and work visas.
PTE Exam Date
The PTE Academic test offers multiple exam dates throughout the year, providing candidates with flexibility in choosing their preferred slot. Here is a list of PTE exam dates in India across various states. Please note that these dates are specific to particular PTE test centers, and availability may vary based on location and COVID-19 restrictions.
It is important for candidates to check the PTE test date and test center availability due to varying lockdowns and SOP measures in place. The ongoing pandemic has led to limited capacity or temporary closures of some PTE test centers. Candidates should stay updated on the availability of test centers nearest to them and proceed with the PTE registration accordingly.
Conducted by Pearson PLC Group, the PTE exams are held at Pearson Vue test centers and other private players providing excellent services to PTE test takers. Additionally, the introduction of PTE at Home allows candidates to take the exam safely from the comfort of their homes.
PTE Exam Registration
Candidates aspiring to take the PTE Exam can easily register by following these simple steps:
Step 1: Visit the official PTE Academic website: https://www.pearsonpte.com/pte-academic and select the appropriate test type based on your goal.
Step 2: Agree to the PTE Terms and Conditions to proceed to the next step of registration.
Step 3: Choose your preferred PTE Test Centre, along with the available date and time slot for your PTE Academic exam.
Step 4a: Upon selection, a confirmation page will display your PTE exam details, including the type of exam, PTE appointment specifics (Test Centre, Date, and Time), and the PTE Fee.
Step 4b: If you are satisfied with the provided appointment details, proceed to make the payment for the PTE exam.
*Please note that the PTE Exam Fee for 2023 is INR 15,900.
Step 5: The revised PTE registration fee of INR 15,900, inclusive of taxes, can be paid conveniently through various payment options available.
PTE Exam Syllabus
The PTE exam in 2023 will assess candidates’ language proficiency through various sections, each comprising different question types. Below is a summary of the topics covered in the PTE Speaking and Writing, Reading, and Listening sections:
PTE Speaking and Writing Section Topics:
Candidates will have a total of 54 – 67 minutes for the Speaking and Writing section, which includes the following question types:
- Personal Introduction
- Read Aloud
- Repeat Sentence
- Describe Image
- Re-tell Lecture
- Answer Short Question
- Summarize Written Text
PTE Reading Section Topics:
Candidates will have a total of 29 – 30 minutes to complete the Reading section, with questions covering the following topics:
- Reading & Writing: Fill in the Blanks
- Multiple Choice, Multiple Answer
- Re-order Paragraphs
- Fill in the Blanks
- Multiple Choice, Single Answer
PTE Listening Section Topics:
The Listening section will provide candidates with a total of 30 – 43 minutes to complete, featuring the following question types:
- Summarize Spoken Text
- Multiple Choice, Multiple Answers
- Fill in the Blanks
- Highlight Correct Summary
- Multiple Choice, Single Answer
- Select Missing Word
- Highlight Incorrect Words
- Write from Dictation
PTE Exam Eligibility Criteria
The PTE exam has specific eligibility factors that candidates must meet to be eligible to take the test:
Age Limit for PTE Exam:
- Minimum Age: Candidates must be at least 16 years old to appear for the PTE exam.
- Parent Consent Required: For candidates between 16 to 18 years of age, parental consent is necessary before taking the test.
- Maximum Age: There is no upper age limit specified by the conducting body for the PTE exam.
PTE Exam Qualification:
- Minimum/Maximum Qualification: The conducting body, Pearson PLC Group, does not specify any minimum or maximum educational qualification criteria for candidates appearing for the PTE exam.
PTE Eligible Countries:
The PTE exam is widely accepted by universities in several English-speaking countries, including the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand.
PTE Exam Pattern and Test Structure
The PTE exam, designed to assess candidates’ English language proficiency, covers three essential skills: Speaking & Writing (54 – 67 minutes), Reading (29 – 30 minutes), and Listening (30 – 43 minutes). This comprehensive exam is intended for individuals aspiring to pursue their studies in English-speaking countries abroad.
Duration: The PTE exam lasts for a total of 2 hours, conducted in a single test session.
Medium: It is a computer-based exam that requires candidates to use a headset for the Speaking and Listening sections.
Mode: Candidates have the option to take the PTE exam either in a test center or opt for the Home Edition, providing a safe and convenient testing environment from the comfort of their homes.
Test Type: The PTE exam is designed to assess real-life English language skills, ensuring that candidates are equipped to communicate effectively in practical situations.
Test Layout: The exam includes 20 different question types, covering Speaking & Writing, Reading, and Listening skills. Candidates will encounter a diverse range of tasks, challenging them to demonstrate their language proficiency across various contexts.
PTE Exam Result
PTE results are promptly available online, typically within two working days from the test date. Candidates can access their PTE Academic results through their PTE Academic student account. Here’s how the process works:
- After taking the PTE Academic exam, candidates will receive an email within five working days, containing instructions on how to access their results online.
- To view the results, candidates must follow the instructions provided and log in to their Pearson account.
- Once logged in, candidates can access their PTE Academic scores and view a graphical representation showcasing their language proficiency in various skills like reading, speaking, understanding verbal instructions, and writing in English.
- The PTE Academic exam is scored on a scale from 10 to 90, with 10 being the lowest score and increments of 1 point. This scoring system offers a comprehensive evaluation of the candidate’s language abilities.
- The score report not only highlights the candidate’s core language skills but also identifies areas for improvement.
- Candidates have the convenience of sharing their PTE Academic scores with the colleges and universities of their choice directly through their Pearson account.
- To access their PTE Academic scores, candidates should log in to their Pearson VUE account, which they created during the test booking process.
PTE Exam Highlights
|PTE Full Form
|Pearson Test of English
|Pearson PLC Group
|Widely Popular as
|English language proficiency test
|Generally Accepted by
|Universities in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand
|Types of Exam
|PTE Academic and PTE Academic UKVI
|Mode of Exam
|PTE Exam Fees
|INR 14,700 – INR 15,900
|English Speaking, Writing, Listening, and Reading
|00080 0440 2020
1. What is the PTE Exam?
The PTE Exam, also known as the Pearson Test of English, is a computer-based English language proficiency test designed to assess candidates’ abilities in speaking, writing, reading, and listening. It is widely accepted by universities and institutions in English-speaking countries for academic and immigration purposes.
2. What is the Eligibility Criteria for the PTE Exam?
To appear for the PTE Exam, candidates must be at least 16 years old. Parental consent is required for candidates between 16 to 18 years of age. There is no upper age limit, and no specific educational qualification is mandated by the conducting body.
3. How Can I Register for the PTE Exam?
Candidates can register for the PTE Exam by visiting the official PTE Academic website and following the step-by-step registration process. They can choose their preferred test center, date, and time for the exam and make the payment online.
4. What is the Format of the PTE Exam?
The PTE Exam is a computer-based test with three main sections: Speaking & Writing, Reading, and Listening. It consists of various question types that assess real-life English language skills.
5. How is the PTE Exam Scored?
The PTE Exam is scored on a scale of 10 to 90, with 10 being the lowest score and increments of 1 point. All questions in the PTE Academic exam are machine-scored. Some answers are evaluated for correctness, while others are assessed based on formal aspects and response quality.
6. What Are the Preparation Resources Available for the PTE Exam?
Pearson offers a range of preparation resources, including free online courses, a practice app, official course books (paid), and “Learn English with Pearson.” Regular practice and mock tests are highly recommended for effective preparation.
7. How Can I Access My PTE Exam Scores?
PTE Exam results are usually available online within two working days from the test date. Candidates can access their scores through their PTE Academic student account. An email notification with instructions on accessing the results will be sent to the candidates.